Quilt Gallery

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Summer Vacation, Continued

Ah!  Central Florida.  Yes, it's hot and humid.  And no, there isn't much to do where my parents live.  But that is its charm.  It forces you to slow down and relax.  Lots of sleeping, reading, card-playing with my mom and the girls, movie nights with my dad, and swimming.  I also spent a little time each day hand piecing scraps for the vintage quilt top.  Now that I am home and can use my sewing machine, the rest is moving along quickly.  Here is the latest completed section, looking a little drab in this light. One more to go before I can put it all together.


We did make a few excursions while in Florida.  Eva enjoyed a trail ride around the lush grounds of Grand Oaks, home of the Florida Carriage Museum.


Afterwards we toured on foot.  I particularly liked the the black and white Gypsy Vanners and the funny-faced Poitou donkey.

Gypsy Vanner

Poitou Donkey

We also went to Homosassa State Wildlife Park where Eva and I got to practice our wildlife photography.  I found the constantly changing light -- sun, clouds, deep shade -- quite a challenge.  And the main attraction, the manatees, were completely uncooperative.  Nonetheless, it was great to have such an array of critters in one place.

Barred Owl


Roseate Spoonbill









No comments:

Post a Comment