Quilt Gallery

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Harvard's Peabody Museum

In search of indoor entertainment during our recent visit to Boston - it was really cold - we took the T across the Charles to Cambridge to visit Harvard's Peabody Museum of Archeology and Ethnology. I spent most of my time in the North American section where they have all sorts of interesting pieces, such as a pipe bag used by the Sioux chief Sitting Bull.

Pipe bag carried by Sitting Bull; beaded and quill on leather, leather fringe partially wrapped w/ quill, ca. 1883

Like so many of their other North American objects, such as baskets, rugs, and clothing, the pipe bag has a strong graphic design and bold colors.

Micmac birchbark box, ornamented with quillwork, 1850
Navajo saddle throw blanket, wool, 1885-1889
Seminole patchwork "big shirt," ca. 1900

I have reinterpreted the design of this Seminole "big shirt" for a quilt top.  I originally intended to include the vertical stripes but decided I preferred the simplicity of exclusively horizontal stripes.

Sarah defending my new quilt top

An afternoon's work and now I have a top to practice quilting with a long arm machine.  Stay tuned to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment