Quilt Gallery

Saturday, April 26, 2014

A Gift for Baby Evelyn

The subject of today's post was inspired not by a place, but by a person.  Evelyn is the newest addition to our  family, my niece's daughter, and was born in December.  My gift to her was, of course, a quilt.

"Evelyn's Quilt" (48" x 48")

I wanted it to be feminine and sweet but also something she could enjoy for many years, so I skipped the baby-themed fabrics and used mostly florals, new and vintage, large scale and small scale.  I mixed in a few darker prints to keep the pastels from cloying and for a special personal touch added pieces of four recycled shirts that belonged to my brother, Evelyn's grandfather. The center print perfectly matched this multi-colored shirting.


I combined four different pink florals for the back.  I hope Evelyn likes pink!


I quilted it on a long-arm machine, letting the computer guide the machine in the center and parts of the corner stars.




I quilted all the rest of it free-hand with feathers around the border and an overall swirl for the inner border.



On a completely different subject, I can't resist closing with two more photos of this year's spectacular bluebonnets at Muleshoe Bend Recreation Area where there are acres and acres thick with bluebonnets. Remarkably one sees many more deer than people in this park.

Moonset and bluebonnets at Muleshoe Bend Recreation Area
Sunset over bluebonnets at Muleshoe Bend Recreation Area









No comments:

Post a Comment