Quilt Gallery

Monday, May 28, 2018

Road Trip!

When my daughter invited me to drive with her from Ithaca, New York, to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I jumped at the chance. It gave me a rare opportunity to spend time with her, and a chance to enjoy a quintessential American experience: the road trip.


We covered over 2,200 miles in three and a half days so she would arrive in time to start her summer job with the National Park Service. It made for a tight schedule, but we still fit in visits to two friends and a couple of sightseeing stops along the way.

Our longest stop was at Badlands National Park, just a few miles south of Interstate 90 in the southwestern part of South Dakota. Eager to stretch our legs after hours in the car, we jumped out at the first parking lot and hiked the Door Trail into the beautiful, but forbidding landscape.


Having only visited the Badlands once before, briefly and on a grey morning, I was surprised at how colorful it is, and how lushly green the surrounding plains are.


We were delighted to see quite a few big horn sheep, none of which seemed bothered by gawking people or cars rolling past.



Since it was so late in the day we drove the Badlands Loop Road, then headed back to I-90 and Wall Drug for dinner.


Wall Drug is an unabashedly touristy spot, but the only option for many miles around, and worth a visit for the sheer spectacle of it. If you want a momento of your travels, you can certainly find one here. 


On our last day we crossed Wyoming, watching the prairies give way to mountains.


Our final stop before reaching Jackson Hole was in the tiny but colorful town of Dubois. The barista at Perch Coffee House kindly pointed us down the street to the local yarn shop, Wyoming Wookworks. I knew it existed because I had seen a lovely blog post about it, and it is definitely worth a visit. Anita Thatcher, the proprietor, gave us a complete tour.


It is crammed full of all kinds of wool and crafty items. You can buy yarn, much of it locally sourced,


and all kinds of finished items, from handmade saddle blankets


to small gifts.


And then it was over the Togwotee Pass to Jackson Hole and the really big mountains! I've flown in to Jackson Hole many times, but I have to say that there is something special about driving in and watching the landscape slowly unfold in front of you.


One other important benefit of a road trip in which you share the driving with someone else: time for knitting! On my flight from Austin to New York I cast on a new sweater, the cropped cardigan from Vogue Knitting's early fall 2014 issue. I have already finished the back and am halfway through both front pieces.


Wishing everyone safe travels on their summer adventures!

2 comments:

  1. A splendid trip, beautifully documented as always. I agree, I like the Togwotee Pass approach to the Tetons best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you enjoyed your road trip. I was born and raised in SD, grew up in Rapid City. SD, now live in NE Wyoming. Hope your daughter enjoys her summer with the National Parks Service.

    ReplyDelete