Quilt Gallery

Thursday, December 15, 2022

A New Quilt for the Sleeping Porch

I've written about Thanksgiving in the Texas Hill Country before, noting that we enjoy sleeping outdoors in one of our little screened cabins or on the sleeping porch. This year was no different in spite of unusually rainy weather.  Thanks to deep eaves and minimal wind the sleeping porch stayed nice and dry. Piled with flannel sheets, a heavy wool blanket and three quilts my bed was cozy as could be. I slept incredibly well! These are all quilts that I have made over the years, with the top one completed the weekend before Thanksgiving.


It's such a cheerful quilt. I think it looks terrific on the bed! 


The quilt is made entirely of "Economy Blocks," which are just squares in a square, in this case four progressively larger squares. I used darker blocks on the outside to make a wide border then added smaller on-point squares for an outer border.


Except for the solids the fabrics are from my seemingly endless stash of vintage fabrics acquired years ago at the Austin Quilt Guild show. Most are florals, but there are also quite a few with fun and quirky designs, such as umbrellas, police cars, and landscapes.



I used a multi-colored southwestern design fabric (also from the vintage stash) for the border. This might seem like an odd choice, but the quilt was incredibly busy already so I figured I'd go all in with the busyness.


I quilted it (on an APQS long arm machine at Over the Top Quilting in Cedar Park) block by block using two very simple designs and the handy QuiltPath feature that allows you to set up sewing of multiple blocks at once. 


I've been busy in the quilt studio this fall so I'll try to come back here soon with details on some of the other quilts I've recently completed.





1 comment:

  1. This is ridiculously beautiful! Amazing work and looks deliciously smooshy. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. x

    ReplyDelete